The Innovative SME Seal is created by virtue of the Order ECC/1087/2015, of June 5, which regulates obtaining the Small and Medium-sized Innovative Company seal and creates and regulates the Registry of Small and Medium-sized Innovative Companies (BOE of June 11, 2015).
It is a recognition that is granted to small and medium-sized companies that have a great character innovative so that these SMEs can take advantage of and combine tax incentives which, without this seal, are incompatible.
The objective is the development of an environment favorable to the R&D in SMEs so that innovation is systematically incorporated into the production model of our SMEs.
This new certification aims to expand the bonuses and tax benefits to these small and medium-sized companies, as well as to bring them closer to public procurement more easily.
How to get the stamp?
The application for the Seal can be made by SMEs that are in any of the following circumstances:
- Have received public funding in the last 3 years (without revocation) through:
- Public calls for the VI National Plan for Scientific Research, Development and Technological Innovation or the State Plan for Scientific and Technical Research and Innovation.
- Grants for carrying out CDTI R&D projects
- Aid from the 7th R&D&I Framework Program or the Horizon 2020 Program of the European Union.
- Having demonstrated its innovative character with its activity:
- Because it has its own patent in exploitation for less than 5 years
- Because you have obtained in the last 3 years a Motivated Binding Report or IMV favorable
- Have demonstrated their capacity for innovation with one of these certifications:
- Young Innovative Company (JEI), (AENOR EA0043)
- Innovative small or micro-enterprise, (AENOR EA0047)
- R&D&i management systems, (UNE 166.002 Standard)
A Registry is created in which all innovative SMEs will be recorded. Registration will be carried out at the request of the interested SME, carrying out the procedures electronically. These are: declaration as SME; not having had total revocation of justified public financial aid; be up to date with the Administration (Treasury and SS) and justification of the condition of innovator.
Advantages: what is the seal for?
With the Seal, SMEs can obtain better tax advantages for their investment in R&D&i, such as:
- Match incentives that are not compatible for the rest of the companies:
- Bonuses to Social Security by Research staff: reduces by 40% the share of common Social Security contingencies for researchers on staff.
- Tax deductions for R+D+i: that allow reducing the Corporation Tax up to 42% of the investment made in R&D and up to 12% of the investment made in Technological Innovation (IT).
- Do use of the Seal for advertising and commercial purposes, since it improves the image of the brand
- Access to certain aid, financing or mechanisms for which the seal is necessary, such as participation in tenders for Public Purchase of Innovation, or the ICO financing facility.
How to get the Innovative SME Seal
The registration request as it is done from the website of the Ministry of Innovation, electronically and free of charge. The company must be registered in the RUS (Unified Registry of Applicants) to start the application for the seal.
During the application process we will be asked for information:
- Company data
- Data of the applicant
- Company information: number of employees, turnover, annual balance
- Provide the document that proves that you are an Innovative SME, as we have seen in the requirements section, for example:
- documentation on the granting of public aid
- the own patent in exploitation
- a copy of the resolution of the positive binding reasoned report
- or the copy of the official certification recognized by the Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness
- Electronic signature
Then we must wait for the resolution of the Ministry, which can take from a week to 4 months. If you do not get any response within this time, it is most likely that your request has been accepted and you can now download the stamp.
The Seal expires at 3 years and you can renew it as long as you continue to meet the requirements.